Sunday, May 25, 2008

NTDetect missing or deleted solution

If you mistaken deleted NTDETECT.COM, you won't be able to boot up the computer because it is used during the hardware recognition when boot up.

To solve this problem:

1. Insert Windows XP installation CD (bootable).

2. When system prompted to press any key to boot from CD, press Enter (make sure that your bios is set to boot from CD first).

3. In Windows XP setup, press "R" key to repair windows in the recovery console.

4. Log in to the windows installation by pressing "1" key and enter.

5. When prompted for administrator password, enter the password you set.

6. Copy 2 file from the CD-ROM to the root directory of your primary hard disk (For example: e is the drive for CD-ROM)
copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. After finished copy both the files, remove the Windows XP CD and restart computer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You very much. The process suggested by you worked properly for me although i had a copy of ntdetect.com on a flash usb drive which i copied to c:

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem. But when I copied the ntdetect.com and ntldr files to my c:\ root directory, I discovered later on booting up that I lost several directories including my My Document directories. I lost all total over 70 gigabytes of saved material. Anybody else have this happen to them. Immediately followed a Microsoft Windows update.